Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Homemade Eggnog

My husband loves eggs and custards,

I don't do custards,
...don't even like the word,
Custard , doesn't sound edible to me!

Anyways, he also loves eggnog, which I can stand a little of! I still remember the first time I ever tried it, I was in a mall with my mom and grandma where one of the vendors was handing out samples. Grandma insisted that I try it.  Funny thing is I don't remember what my original reaction to it was!     

This year I thought I would try making some after he finished off the 2 - 1/2 gallons I had bought.


There were soooo many different versions, using all different ingredients...in addition to the main milk, eggs, vanilla! 


Here is one that I found and slightly adapted...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Non-Alcoholic Eggnog Recipe

3 cups milk
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup sugar
4 large eggs
2 teas vanilla
nutmeg

1. Whisk together milk, cream, sugar, and eggs in medium-sized nonreactive saucepan.

2. Cook over low heat, whisking constantly, until the mixture thickens slightly, about 5 minutes.
(be sure not to cook too hot **see below**, and when whisking be sure to keep from sticking to bottom)

3. Mix in nutmeg to taste. Serve immediately or refrigerate. (If it gets too thick with refrigeration, thin with milk)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a super simple recipe for excellent homemade eggnog.  I do have a suggestion that might keep you from thinking you failed and dumping it all out...

Control your gag reflex before you read on...

After we refrigerated it and decided it was time to give it a try, there was some, well...
There were small chunks in it...

Totally gross I know.  

Although I did not let it boil, I assumed I did probably over cook it or get it too hot and caused the eggs to begin to set.  

So instead of dumping it down the drain, I just poured it through some cheese cloth, and...






What!? Did you think you would see a festive, perfectly garnished class of nog!? Sorry!!! It didn't last that long!!!

Hope you enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment