Saturday, August 30, 2014

Batteries & A Sandwich

Where do I even begin!?

The biggest reason I wanted to start this blog was to share with everyone my glorious God and the unconditional love and grace that he has blessed me with!

A few weeks ago the The Bearded One (my husband) and I were headed about an hour out of town to run some errands.  On the way we listened to a podcast; a David Platt sermon on his book Radical. I cant give you the exact theme of the sermon, but it challenged me about being more proactive in my intent to share the Lord's blessings with others.  I began to pray, that throughout the day while we made our various stops God would place people in our path for us to bless.  I asked that He would place extra conviction upon us that we may not pass up opportunities to bless someone in His name.

Our first stop would be a quick one and the most painful; we had to buy a new battery for the truck, and it wasn't going to be cheap!  We had actually chose this specific location knowing it would cost us slightly more, but willing to pay the extra cost for a better quality battery and because we like knowing our money is going into a Christian owned business.  While paying for the truck battery we were talking to the salesman/owner about a recent loss we knew his family had been through and offering what little condolence we could.  When he told us the total we realized he had given us a discount on the battery.  (*Note- making it cheaper than had we of just went and got the cheap battery)  We thanked him for the unexpected bonus of a discount and started making our way to the door.  I noticed a small flashlight my husband had been wanting was about 65% off, the owner complimented the quality of the product and my husband decided on the light as well.  Once again, at checkout, the owner blessed us, by putting a free package of batteries for the light in the bag!

Now I know to most this doesn't seem that "divine," but by the time I got back in our truck I was nearly in tears.  I had spent the last 30+ min asking God to let US bless someone else, and here we were, our day barley started and we were abundantly blessed by the generosity of a small business owner we barely knew.

I meant to share this story shortly after I officially started this blog, but I never did put it to words.
Today, a very similar situation reminded me to share!

My prayer this morning...

"Therefore lift your drooping hands and strengthen your weak knees, and make straight paths for your feet, so that what is lame may not be put out of joint but rather be healed. Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord. See to it that no one fails to obtain the grace of God" Hebrews 12:12-15

Lord give me your holiness today so that others may see You! Strengthen me so that I may keep my feet on straight paths.

This was at the very beginning of an early 12 hr shift after only 3 hours of sleep.  I knew I needed what only the Lord could give if I was going to peacefully make it through this these 12 hours in the middle of a holiday weekend.  Even more so I didn't want to just "get through" the day, I wanted others to see the Lord  and obtain the grace of God.  

The morning had passed fairly quickly and I had an opportunity for lunch.  I didn't have time to pack a lunch before I left, so I had just grabbed a snack hoping that would hold me over til I got home that evening.  However, noon came in with a (belly) roar and I wanted more!  I headed to the cafeteria and decided to splurge on Subway, after all, it had been awhile since I had delighted myself. (*So long I had forgotten how to order my sandwich)

I briefly spoke to the doctor in front of me. (mostly him laughing because my sandwich ordering skills were a little dusty) 
Once again, most unexpectedly, God sent blessings to me.  At the end of the line, despite my opposition, Dr insisted he buy my lunch.  I thanked him and told him he had no idea how special that made me feel.

My God has once again turned my request for grace and an opportunity to share it with someone else, into showers of blessings for me.  Again, I know what your thinking, a $5 lunch can't possibly make you feel that special.  But Oh it does! 

 "One who is faithful in a very little is also faithful in much" Luke 16:10

This verse applies to our God as well!  He is showing us through the "little" that we can trust Him with much!!!  We need not worry about our needs; only strive to show others who our grace giving Savior is, and He will know doubt show himself to us!

I hope you know how much He loves you and want to show you His faithfulness in the little and much; even when you least expect it!

No comments:

Post a Comment